Keto.... it's been a hot word in the diet industry that gets looked down on often. Most don't even know what it actually is. This is way less of a diet and much more a way of life. With so much information out there, getting started on this new way of eating can feel overwhelming. That's why we've put together this beginner's guide to starting the ketogenic diet – everything you need to know to make keto simple and sustainable for long-term success. So grab a cup of coffee (with some healthy fats, of course) and let's dive in!
What is the Ketogenic Diet?
The ketogenic diet is a high fat, low carbohydrate diet that has been used for centuries to treat various medical conditions. In recent years, the keto diet has gained popularity as a weight loss and health promotion tool. The keto diet works by inducing a state of ketosis in the body, which is a natural metabolic state in which the body burns fat for fuel instead of carbohydrates.
There are many different types of ketogenic diets, but the most common is the Standard Ketogenic Diet (SKD). The SKD requires that you consume high amounts of fat, moderate amounts of protein, and very few carbohydrates. This macronutrient ratio forces your body to burn fat for fuel instead of carbs, resulting in weight loss and improved health.
Benefits of Keto Diet
If you’re like most people, you probably think of the ketogenic diet as a way to lose weight. And while weight loss is certainly a benefit of the keto diet, there are many other benefits that are often overlooked.
For example, the keto diet can help improve your cognitive function and mental clarity. It can also help reduce inflammation throughout your body, which can lead to improved joint health. Additionally, the keto diet can help stabilize blood sugar levels, which is beneficial for both diabetics and non-diabetics alike.
Finally, the keto diet has been shown to boost energy levels and endurance. So if you’re looking for a way to not only lose weight but also feel your best, the ketogenic diet may be right for you.
How to Start the Keto Diet
If you’re new to the keto diet, starting can seem daunting. But it doesn’t have to be! This simple guide will walk you through everything you need to know to get started on the keto diet, from stocking your pantry with keto-friendly foods to calculating your macros.
First things first: what is the keto diet? The ketogenic, or “keto,” diet is a high-fat, low-carbohydrate eating plan that has been used for centuries to treat certain medical conditions. In recent years, it has gained popularity as a weight loss and healthy living strategy.
The basic premise of the keto diet is this: by eating mostly fat and very few carbs, your body enters a state of ketosis, in which it burns fat for energy instead of glucose (sugar). This process not only leads to weight loss, but also has been shown to improve overall health and well-being.
Now that you know a little bit about the keto diet, let’s talk about how to get started. Here are four simple steps:
1. Clean out your pantry and stock up on good-quality fats, proteins, and low-carb vegetables.
2. Calculate your macronutrient needs (fat, protein, carbs) so you know how much of each you should be eating every day.
3. Find some delicious recipes that fit your macros and start cooking!
4. Track your progress with a food tracking app or journal so you can make sure you’re staying on track.
That’s it! If you follow these four steps, you’ll be well on your way to a successful keto journey.
Meal Planning and Shopping for Keto Foods
When it comes to starting the keto diet, one of the most important things to do is meal plan and shop for keto-friendly foods. This can seem daunting at first, but with a little planning and knowledge, it can be easy to find delicious keto foods that fit into your lifestyle.
To help you get started, we’ve put together a list of tips for meal planning and shopping for keto foods:
1. Plan your meals in advance. This will help you know what ingredients you need to buy and also save you time during the week.
2. Make a grocery list before you go shopping. This will ensure you don’t forget anything and help you stay on track while you’re at the store.
3. Familiarize yourself with which foods are keto-friendly. This way, you can make informed choices when you’re grocery shopping and meal planning.
4. Consider investing in a quality kitchen scale . This will come in handy when measuring out ingredients, especially when baking keto desserts or other recipes that require precision.
5. Don’t be afraid to experiment! Trying new recipes is part of the fun of being on the keto diet. So go ahead and experiment with different ingredients and meals to find what you like best.
Tips for Eating Out on Keto
If you're following the ketogenic diet, dining out can be a bit of a challenge. But with a little planning, it is possible to enjoy a meal out without sabotaging your diet. Here are some tips for eating out on keto:
1. Avoid processed foods and order fresh, whole foods whenever possible.
2. Ask your server about the ingredients in each dish and request modifications as necessary to make it keto-friendly.
3. Stick to simple dishes that are easy to modify, such as grilled chicken or fish, salads, and steamed vegetables.
4. Avoid high-carb sides like rice, potatoes, and bread. Opt for low-carb alternatives like broccoli or cauliflower rice, green beans, or a salad.
5. Skip the dessert menu and order coffee or tea instead. If you must have something sweet, ask for a sugar-free option like Stevia or Splenda.
When it comes to starting the ketogenic diet, one of the most important things to do is figure out what kinds of recipes you can make that will fit into your new way of eating. That's why we've put together this list of delicious and easy to make keto recipes that are perfect for beginners.
From simple breakfast options to hearty dinners, there's something for everyone on this list. And best of all, each and every one of these recipes is keto-friendly, so you can be sure you're sticking to your diet goals.
So what are you waiting for? Get cooking!
Common Mistakes to Avoid When Starting Keto
When starting the ketogenic diet, there are a few common mistakes that many people make that can sabotage their success. Here are some of the most common mistakes to avoid when starting keto:
1. Not Planning Ahead: One of the biggest mistakes people make when starting the keto diet is not planning ahead. This can lead to falling off the wagon and giving up on your goals. To avoid this, be sure to meal plan and cook ahead of time so you always have healthy food options available.
2. Not Tracking Your Macros: Another mistake people make is not tracking their macros (fat, protein, and carbs). This can make it difficult to know if you are in ketosis or not, and can also lead to overeating or undereating. Be sure to track your macros so you can ensure you are staying on track.
3. Not Drinking Enough Water: It’s important to stay hydrated on keto, but many people forget to drink enough water. Be sure to drink at least 8 glasses of water per day, and even more if you are sweating a lot or working out hard.
4. Eating Too Much Protein: While protein is an important part of the keto diet, eating too much of it can kick you out of ketosis. Be sure to moderate your protein intake and focus on getting most of your calories from fat.
5. Not Getting Enough Fat: Many people think they need to skimp
Navigating the ketogenic diet can be daunting for anyone, especially beginners. However, with this guide you should feel more confident in taking the first steps towards a healthier lifestyle. With its focus on whole foods and healthy fats, the keto diet is an incredibly effective way to shed excess weight and improve overall health. If followed correctly, it can provide long-term benefits that will make all your hard work worthwhile!
Shopping for supplements to keep you on track?
Need more information? These three books should satisfy that.