2 lbs boneless chuck beef roast
1 large yellow onion, sliced
3 garlic cloves
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
2 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
2 tbsp coconut aminos
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 cup water or good quality beef stock
Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
12 romaine lettuce leaves
Favorite taco toppings (i.e. tomatoes, avocado, shredded carrot, bell peppers) Lime wedges
1. Set up crock-pot on low.
2. Peel the garlic cloves and slightly open them by smashing them with the side of a chef’s knife.
3. Make a little slice in the beef long enough and deep enough to fit the 3 garlic cloves inside.
4. Season the beef all over with sea salt and black pepper to taste.
5. Place roast inside the crock-pot and add the onions, lime juice, orange juice, coconut aminos, cumin, and water or beef stock.
6. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until internal temperature reaches 160 F.
7. When the beef is cooked, transfer it to a shallow dish and break it apart gently with a fork.
8. Spoon the remaining juices in the crock-pot into the shredded beef to desired consistency.
9. Divide approximately 1 1/2 cups of shredded beef between 6 lettuce leaves (like a taco shell).
Top with your favorite taco toppings and sprinkle with lime juice if desired.
Need more healthy food ideas? Check out these three book.